Our medical practice had its beginnings in 1978 with the surgery run by Dr Andrew Ong at Woodpecker Avenue, Willetton. The Pinetree Gully Road surgery was built in 1985, and in 1993 the two surgeries were amalgamated and Southlands Medical Services was formed, a partnership between Dr Andrew Ong, Dr Joseph Thomas and Dr Teong Khoo. The combined surgery was operated at Pinetree Gully Road, and our first computer program was installed.
In 2004 the surgery at Shelley previously run by Dr Margaret Russell-Smith was purchased, and after renovations it was re-opened in 2005 as Southlands Medical Services Shelley. The practices were networked, enabling computer access to patient records from both sites, using Genie computer software.
The practice is blessed with a very commited team of staff, several of them who have been with the practice for many years.
- Consultations, ECGs, Ear Syringing, Lung Function Testing
- Motor Vehicle/Workers Compensation cases
- Women’s Health, Pap Smears, Family Planning, Men’s and Children’s Health
- Mirena Insertion, Implanon Insertion and Removal
- Chronic Disease Management
- Medical Examinations for Insurance, Employment and Superannuation
- Acupuncture, Pain Management, Physical therapies
- Counselling – personal, marriage and family, stress management etc.
- Minor Surgery – removal of skin lesions, toenail resection, suturing of cuts
- Palliative care of the terminally ill
- Routine Immunisation and Travel Vaccination advice
- Weight control and smoking cessation programs
- Health Assessments
- Asthma and Diabetes Education
- Mental Health
- Indigenous Health
Accounts are issued at the time of the consultation and payment is appreciated at the time by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card, and we can facilitate your claim by lodging it electronically with Medicare.
A full schedule of consultation fees for each doctor is available from reception. Further details about fees for investigations and procedures will be provided on request from your doctor or receptionist.
At the doctors discretion Medicare will be billed directly (Bulk billed) for Pensioners, Health Care Card Holders and children under 16 years of age. As each doctor is in fact working independently from a common premises, their fee schedules may be different and arrangements made with one doctor will not necessarily carry over to others. Patients in financial difficulty may make special arrangements with their own doctor.